Backorder| 1-2 weeks

Beckman Coulter 33810 Access Thyroid Uptake Reagent, 100 Determinations


Analyzer Series: Access Analyzer Series
Brand: Beckman Coulter
Manufacturer SKU: 33810
Package Size: 2 x 50 Tests
Test Type: Thyroid / Metabolic Assay
Test Name: T-Uptake
Analyzer Type: Hematology Analayzer
Availability: Available on backorder SKU: 33810 Category:


Beckman Coulter 33810 Access Thyroid Uptake Reagent (T-Uptake test) Specifications:

  • Brand: Access
  • Manufacturer: Beckman Coulter 33810
  • Country of Origin: United States
  • Application: Thyroid Uptake reagent (T-Uptake test)
  • Number of Tests: 100 Tests
  • Test Name: T-Uptake
  • Test Type: Thyroid / Metabolic Assay
Beckman Coulter 33810 Access Thyroid Uptake Reagent: INTENDED USE

The Access Thyroid Uptake reagent (T-Uptake) used within the Thyroid Uptake assay is a paramagnetic particle, chemiluminescent immunoassay for the assessment of the thyroxine-binding capacity of unsaturated proteins in serum and plasma, using the Access Immunoassay Systems. This test may also be used in conjunction with a total thyroxine measurement to provide a calculated free thyroxine index (FTI).SUMMARY AND EXPLANATIONThe hypothalamo-hypophyseal-thyroid axis controls the synthesis, release and action of triiodothyronine (T3) and thyroxine (T4).

More than 99% of the T4 and T3 circulate in the blood bound to carrier proteins leaving less than 1% unbound. The greatest binding affinity for both hormones is to thyroxine-binding globulin (TBG) and, to a lesser extent, to prealbumin (TPBA) and serum albumin. The level of thyroid activity correlates with the unbound or free hormone concentration.

Generally, the total T4 is indicative of the amount of free T4 because TBG concentrations remain relatively constant. However, changes in TBG concentration affect the number of unoccupied TBG binding sites thus affecting the level of protein-bound hormone and leaving the free level of hormone unchanged. In hypothyroidism the relatively unsaturated binding proteins reflect a decreased thyroid uptake value. In hyperthyroidism the thyroid uptake value increases due to the highly saturated binding proteins.

The Access Thyroid Uptake assay made with the Beckman Coulter 33810 Access Thyroid Uptake Reagent indirectly assesses the unsaturated binding capacity of certain serum proteins, primarily TBG. This, in conjunction with total T4 measurement, allows for a better estimate of the amount of endogenous circulating thyroid hormone-an indirect indication of thyroid function. Using the thyroid uptake value to provide a measure of relative amounts of unsaturated TBG and the total T4 value to provide the concentration of total hormone, one can indirectly estimate the relative amounts of free T4 present in the sample by means of a free thyroxine index (FTI) calculation.